[fpc-pascal] Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Mr Bee pak.lebah at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 04:53:19 CEST 2018

>> Do you mean this:
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/File:Lazarus-icons-lpr-
>> proposal-bpsoftware.png
>> ?
>>

> Yes. For me, this is the direction to go in.

But it's Lazarus logo. I think we should have a distinguished logo between
the compiler and the IDE.

Eh, and the fact that you are almost forced to use it if you want to
> program for the Mac these days ?
> Just like Microsoft pushes everyone to C#.

Actually, nobody pushes anybody to use anything. As a first party solution,
of course it would be advertised as the best tool for the platform. Being
advertised doesn't mean it's pushed to everyone because in reality you can
use whatever tool you want as long it supports the platform.

> I think the innate properties of these programming languages have nothing
> to do with
> it. It's just a vendor lock-in strategy.

Lock-in strategy is just a term in business, but it never really locks
anybody into anything. You won't be punished if you don't use Swift on
Apple's platform or C# on Microsoft's platform. You're still free to use
anything on any platforms. But usually you'll get many benefits and
advantages if you use first party solution that sometimes can't be provided
by third party solutions. Some might see it as being locked, some others
might see it as a service.

> The question is: do you need 'cute' in order to attract young, capable,
> people?
> I doubt that.

I was talking about the mascot, not the logo. And I think it's good to have
a cute mascot. Why everything has to be formal and serious? :)

And this kind of statement is why I don't take branding or marketing
> seriously.
> On one hand "..then branding is quite important" and on the other hand
> "don't take it too literally".
> That simply does not compute for me.

Because you mix the whole things up. Branding is important but it doesn't
need to represent the company/product literally. A brand is like our name.
Everybody is known by the name, but the name doesn't necessarily represent
the image of the person literally. Mr White doesn't have to be a man in all
white color, for example. Yet everyone would still call him Mr White.
Everybody knows apple is a fruit, yet everybody knows a bitten Apple fruit
logo represents a company that produces computers and smartphones with no
apple fruits involved whatsoever.

–Mr Bee