[fpc-pascal] Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Apr 2 10:31:32 CEST 2018

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Mr Bee via fpc-pascal wrote:

> The proposed logo is updated.
>
> What's new:
> - it has eye balls.
> - more rounded face.
> - more rounded ears.
> - more visible whiskers.
>
> Cheetah is a member of cat big family. So, of course it will look like a
> cat or kitten. Nothing I can do about it.

Please look at the lazarus logo/icon. It has no whiskers.
It looks much more like a cheetah, not like a kitten.
So you can do something about it: remove the whiskers.

As an exercise I have done the job for you. See attached picture.
It's of course better to improve the original, I am not an artist.
(I even would get rid of more elements, but let's start with this)

If we're talking branding anyway (a subject I loathe), then
a logo should represent the company/product group, whatever.

So, the FPC logo should exhale maturity, strength, prowess,
self-confidence.

Hardly things one associates with a kitten.

FPC is an open-source project dating back to the days the word
"open source" did not exist. So maturity is important.

Using marketing/branding talk:
Given that I think your version looks like a kitten, you will
understand that for the reasons explained above, I would not
want to be "associated" with the logo as you proposed it now.

Michael.