[fpc-pascal] Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 15:13:24 CEST 2018

> remove the whiskers.
> As an exercise I have done the job for you. See here:
> http://www.freepascal.org/~michael/pascal_logo2.png
> It's of course better to improve the original, I am not an artist.(I
> even would get rid of more elements, but let's start with this)
> If we're talking branding anyway (a subject I loathe), then a logo
> should represent the company/product group, whatever.
> So, the FPC logo should exhale maturity, strength, prowess,
> self-confidence.
> Hardly things one associates with a kitten.
> FPC is an open-source project dating back to the days the word "open
> source" did not exist. So maturity is important.
> Using marketing/branding talk:Given that I think your version looks like
> a kitten, you will understand that for the reasons explained above, I
> would not want to be "associated" with the logo as you proposed it now.

More to the point, why is a Cheetah logo being discussed in the context
of Free Pascal?

If FPC is to have a logo it should be distinct from Lazarus since it's a
separate project, although ideally they'd be complementary: an expanse
of bushveldt with a couple of trees or similar (but please, no prey
animals).

There's also the important question of whether an image selected as a
logo can be scaled down to be used as an icon.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk