[fpc-pascal] Using Serial in a TCP/RS232 gateway, how to set buffer sizes?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Sep 11 11:23:27 CEST 2017

On 06.09.2017 20:35, Bo Berglund wrote:
> The problem is that when the Windows app is done sending the data
> system is still missing many kilobytes....
> So no ACK is returned, it is still in receive mode.

On serial lines bits and bytes always can get lost or be distorted,
independent from OS, hardware, ...

Any data transfer software needs to use appropriate means (i.e.
appropriately small packets. counting packet number. ACK block
containing the packet number it answers to, timeout, retransmit, ...) to
handle this.

Moreover, with USB serial adapters I rather often found that the loose
the connection to the OS and can't be re-established without a power cycle.

-Michael