[fpc-pascal] TBufDataset vs TClientDataset

Marcos Douglas B. Santos md at delfire.net
Mon Oct 9 04:14:18 CEST 2017

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read a couple of archived mailing list posts about TBufDataset, which from
> what I read is FPC's equivalent to TClientDataset.
>
> That then begs the question... Why isn't it called TClientDataset in FPC?
> What happened to Delphi-compatibility?

Good question...

> Also, what's the difference between TBufDataset and TMemDataset? Aren't they
> both in-memory datasets? If so, why do we have two different components for
> the same thing?

Yes, they are both in-memory datasets and, I believe, TMemDataSet came
first and TBufDataSet could be an improvement. Here ->
http://wiki.freepascal.org/How_to_write_in-memory_database_applications_in_Lazarus/FPC
says that TBufDataSet is a better choice.

Why two classes for the same thing? I have no idea.

More interesting links:
- http://lazarus.lazarus.freepascal.narkive.com/Fe8TZqtR/tbufdataset-tmemdataset-and-a-big-headache
- http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=30454.0

Regards,