[fpc-pascal] getting cross with the cross compiler

pascalX at piments.com pascalX at piments.com
Sat Oct 7 22:13:25 CEST 2017

On 07/10/17 19:55, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
> Am 07.10.2017 um 12:14 schrieb Sven Barth via fpc-pascal:
>> Am 07.10.2017 11:11 schrieb "Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR)" <charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
>> <mailto:charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu>>:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Sigh. :) Any reason why Windows is different? No other OS has different
>>> target arguments for different CPUs, because the CPU type already
>>> specifies if its for 32 or 64bit... (fix me?)
>
> Because MS called the apis win32/win64.
>

>> I had asked the same some time ago and the historic reason was that especially the system unit was
>> considered too different to have both of them be the same target... I don't agree either, but that's
>> how it is... :/
>
> Well, this is another story, win32/win64 can easily share as much as possible

Hi Florian,

firstly may I take the opportunity to congratulate you on what have
managed to do in creating fpc and lazarus.  Despite what seems like a
few outstanding quirks it is an amazing achievement.

Can you offer any insights into what is going on with Lazarus not
locating the system unit and friends.  As you acknowledge they are
treated somewhat differently due to problems with the underlying platforms.

I am wondering whether this enforced inconsistency with the generally
well organised structure could be leading to the problem.

It seems odd that fpc is finding them OK and Lazarus not.

It seems that fedora are doing something a little different in terms of
installation dirs, presumably a result of their way of providing
multilib 32/64 functionality where they install 64b libs in /usr/lib64
rather than /usr/lib.

I am wondering whether this has highlighted some assumption implicit in
the code about different version of libs being in the same place.

Do you have any ideas why the fpc can find the system.ppu etc and not
Lazarus?

Thanks for any insights.