[fpc-pascal] Obtain file size?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 7 13:11:49 CEST 2017

Am 07.10.2017 01:13 schrieb "James Richters" <james at productionautomation.net
>:
>
> I am wondering how to get the file size reported by the OS for a
particular file without opening it.  I tried to search for ‘Free Pascal
File Size’  and variations but all I get are things like this:

> https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/filesize.html
>

> which is not what I’m looking for.
>

> I’ve been looking through the sysutils reference here:
>
> https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/index-5.html
>

> and I see disk size, but not file size…
>

> Could someone please point me in the right direction?

TSearchRec contains a Size field so you can use FindFirst with the specific
filename instead of a pattern (don't forget FindClose then ;) ) to have a
cross platform solution.
Otherwise you'd need to use system specific mechanisms (e.g.
GetFileAttributeEx on Windows, stat on *nix).

Regards,
Sven