[fpc-pascal] Bls: named parameter

Mr Bee pak.lebah at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 06:00:57 CEST 2017

Hi, Sven…
This is what I'm thinking…
// function declarationfunction f(i: integer = 0; s: string = ''; d: double);begin // fill code hereend;// method callingf(s := 'text', 0.1); // supply the s and d paramf(0.2);  // only supply the required d param// supply all the params without proper order is fine,// as long as the parameter name is givenf(d := 0.3, i := 3, s := 'text')// supply param with similar variable name is fine,// because the compiler knows what each meanss := 'another text';d := 0.4;m(s := s, d := d);

Well, it's all inspired from Swift, but I think it suits Pascal as well.
As you said the code is already there in FPC compiler, is it possible to support such syntax in next release? At least some of them. Can we have this named parameter feature in a particular switch mode, say {$MODESWITCH NAMEDPARAMETERS} or something, so it doesn't bother anyone who don't want this feature.
Thank you.
Regards,
–Mr Bee

    Pada Sabtu, 27 Mei 2017 21:18, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> menulis:

>>> Opinions on what constitutes readable code clearly differ :)
>>>
>>> But as far as I know, the parser is not able to read this syntax ?
>>

>> The parser supports it for dispatch calls on variants (both methods
>> and properties). You even wrote that in your own article about Word
>> automation: https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/articles/word/word.pdf
>> ;)
>

> Yes, in Delphi. But I didn't know FPC also supports it ?

Yes, it does. I didn't find a testcase for it right away, but the
compiler definitely contains code for this.

Regards,
Sven
fpc-pascal maillist  -  fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org