[fpc-pascal] named parameter

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon May 29 14:42:53 CEST 2017

fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> > If anything like this would be implemented, then the already existing
syntax (for variant dispatch calls) would be used which uses ":=".

> What are variant dispatch calls? Maybe something from Delphi I’m not
familiar with.

It's usually used in the context of OLE automation though one could also
use this with independently of OLE/COM.
For an example see here:
https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/articles/word/word.pdf

> That’s too bad, a single colon matches the declaration better and looks
nice.

An assignment is the logical choice cause you're assigning a value to a
parameter. A colon is used for a declaration, which is a completely
different kind of "operation".

Regards,
Sven