[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Tue May 23 00:35:18 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-18 10:12, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-05-18 16:04, Ryan Joseph wrote:
>> After I looked at the code I didn't see anything strange about it
>
> Thank you, that's what I thought too.
>
>> it just got me thinking, if that code can be that slow how slow is
>> all the stuff I’m writing on a daily basis? It’s just worrying that’s
>> all.
>
> +1
> Thank goodness normal desktop applications are not that sensitive to
> inefficient generated binaries.

And this is why it is usually premature optimization.. most people are
using FPC likely for lazarus desktop apps, not game programming or fast
graphics rendering, so no one cared about this bug/slowness until
someone reported it..

Which is good that it was reported, to find a problem with FPC that was
not noted before or that no one previously had any issues with.

But with that pascal game development web forum out there, it should
have come up some time previously?  As there are game programmers out
there using fpc, and there is andorra/zengl so what do they do? Work
around the bug instead of fixing it at the source in the rtl/compiler?
Swap in their own faster functions instead of replacing the rtl
functions at the source level on fpc's svn server?

Often people will work around a bug instead of fixing it and reporting
it because it's often hard to provide a test case that is small for the
bug report to be accepted.