[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Fri May 19 13:32:17 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-19 12:11, Nikolay Nikolov wrote:
> In FPC, if you want to use SSE and
> avoid the x87 FPU, you have to compile with a specific compiler options
> and forfeit the option for your executable to run on non-SSE capable
> CPUs, because FPC generates native code. If you want to keep

All good and well... Yes, we tried compiling the demo with SSE3
explicitly enabled. No performance increase! What did happen though is
that we got random crashes after a few seconds of the application running.

Bottom line is, with the exact same code, NO work-arounds is required
for GCC or Java! So why must we have work-arounds for FPC? It's a
compiler or RTL issue - not being able to understand the code good
enough to generate more efficient binaries.

And no, I don’t agree that this is a “special case”. It’s a g*d d*mn
game engine I tried to implement. If the FPC team wants to keep thinking
like that, then they should list in big bold letters (on the Free Pascal
homepage) what type of applications they deem fit for FPC, and what type
of applications you shouldn’t bother writing with FPC.

As I mentioned, I'll profile the application under both FreeBSD and
Windows over the weekend and post my finds. But as far as I'm concerned,
there is nothing wrong with the way the program has been implemented.
Time permitting, I might even try compiling it with Delphi 7 to see what
happens.

Regards,
   Graeme