[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu May 18 14:52:25 CEST 2017

On Thu, 18 May 2017, Reimar Grabowski wrote:

>> compared to
>> everything that the GPU has to do (a LOT more points and calculations),
>> the CPU does relatively little in comparison.
> And still too much.
>
> So the question remains:
>
> Why do you have to *calculate* *all*?

Because you want to create an image ? That's what a ray-tracer does AFAIK.

I'm not an expert, but I remember writing POVRay scenes that took forever to
calculate e.g. a chess board with pieces on it. Admittedly, a long time ago.

You assume that you have a GPU to do a lot of work for you because it
renders on screen, but what if you don't want to render the scene on
screen, but in a bitmap, without GPU...

Michael.