[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Thu May 18 10:23:02 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-17 14:53, Reimar Grabowski wrote:
> Na, having 30 or 45 FPS while doing absolutely no gameplay hardly
> qualifies. There are collision detection/response, maybe a physics
> engine, player input reaction, sound processing and enemy "AI" which
> will all bring the framerate down.

I know that perfectly well. I only posted the code for a small demo. My
real game had all the above functionality. It generated a 3D world,
generated textures (yes, I didn't use bitmaps), randomly places the
character, has First Person view, character movement through the 3D
world using a mouse or keyboard, the player has the ability to alter the
3D world, can jump, drop off cliffs (fall) etc.  All this was done using
the software raycaster, and Java gives me 40 FPS very consistently in
800x600 resolution (actually 320x200 upscaled to 800x600 - giving the
nice pixelated effect).

My code in the Lazarus Forum showed an attempt to simply move (fly)
through a much smaller 3D world, but it couldn't come close to the 40
FPS mark I saw with Java. As I said, it barely reached 8 FPS.

My system is a i7 3.5Ghz system with 32GB RAM. It it's definitely not my
system that can't keep up either. Especially if you remember back in the
day, Wolfenstein 3D, which was also a software raycaster game, ran very
smoothly on a 486 PC.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/