[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Wed May 17 07:12:01 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-15 17:27, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-05-15 22:50, noreply at z505.com wrote:
>> Graeme will need to clarify whether he was trying to be harsh on FPC
>> entirely, or just specifically in some areas.. :-)
>
> I'll try and clarify... I believe FPC generates slow (or slower than
> Delphi, GCC and Java) code no matter what. The saving grace is that
> you don't really notice it on normal event-based desktop applications.
> Writing a game is a whole different story. Games are way more
> sensitive to performance.
>
> Now the game I wrote, was a desktop GUI application. It was slow under
> Linux, FreeBSD and Windows. So the results were consistent, no matter
> what GUI API was used.... Be that fpGUI (via GDI), fpGUI (via X11) or
> LCL-GTK2. In all cases, game rendering was to a memory image, then
> once done, that memory image was bitblit to the Window Canvas.
>
> The Java and GCC versions did the same, but were faster.
>
> That's all I can say about. Make your own assumptions - read into it
> any conspiracy theories or what-not. ;-) At this point I don't really
> care, as I already moved on with that project, using OpenGL instead
> (both for Java and Object Pascal).

But any game ends up using opengl anyway, doesnt' it? Sorry I'm not a
big game programmer. Want to be, some day.

i.e. if you end up using opengl, or its successor, why does it even
matter if FPC pure games without any libs are slow?

AFAIR the doom and quake ports ran pretty fast, but I'm not sure, as I
didn't play them much. Can't remember.