[fpc-pascal] Size of program vs library ?

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue May 16 10:55:10 CEST 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 01:15:34AM -0700, fredvs wrote:
> It works for all situations, so I propose that fpc add --gc-sections
> as parameter for the linker if the user has used -XX parameter to
> compile a library.

Does it work for all situations?  I remember a bug for the rust compiler
that broke libraries when --gc-sections was used, because it removed the
metadata that rust needed to load the library.  One of the fpc devs can
probably say whether fpc may have a similar problem.

I know with gcc you will need -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections if
you want --gc-sections to do anything, and there are warnings attached
to those (see the gcc man page).

Henry