[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Jon Foster jon-lists at jfpossibilities.com
Mon May 15 19:40:38 CEST 2017

On 05/13/2017 12:24 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-05-13 18:02, Jon Foster wrote:
>> Speaking of Java ... that's a hard comparison to make. There are so many
>> Java implementations.
>
> Doesn't IBM, Linux, FreeBSD etc use OpenJDK? I was also under the
> impression that Oracle now also uses OpenJDK as the base for their
> releases - with some of their own additions. If this is all correct, it
> means they all pretty much use the same Java VM and Compiler
> implementations.

I can't really speak for most of those as I'm not interested in the Java
platform. The language is too inflexible and on some, if not many platforms
its interpreted. As you saw in my chart that hurts. Linux doesn't use Java.
Its just another piece software installed by the user when they want it.
Which means they are free to install whatever derivative of Java they
choose. I imagine that most distributions will provide OpenJDK as a default
Java solution, because its Open Source. For FreeBSD OpenJDK may be the only
option.

But I suppose my point was more for things that are off the typical
desktop. There are others, like Google, that provide Java implementations
that are free to do whatever the author wishes so long as they adhere to
the byte-code standard. The short of it is: when developing for various
platforms Java performance is likely to vary more widely than expected.
There are probably a number of platforms that still use or fallback to
interpretation and other implementation details will vary. Just as using M$
C, GCC, ... for a windoze platform may produce different performance
results. But Java has the potential for a much broader range of variance.

So to say, "Java is fast." Is not necessarily true depending on who's
implementation you're using. I tested OpenJDK 1.6.0 on Linux. I didn't test
anyone else's implementation. Would be interesting to compare OpenJDK on
the ARM powered CHIP vs. Dalvik on a similarly spec'd Android device. :-)

--
Sent from my Debian Linux workstation -- http://www.debian.org/intro/about

Jon Foster
JF Possibilities, Inc.