[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

James Richters james at productionautomation.net
Mon May 15 12:51:24 CEST 2017

Thanks for the help and advice with this.  I've been trying to figure out how a lot of this works.  Here's where I'm at

>You could try the units ptcgraph or sdlgraph as alternatives (both are part of FPC).

These seemed like the easiest things to start with.

ptcgraph:     I'm having 2 issues trying ptcgraph,  1, I can't seem to get it to be completely full screen 1280x1024 seems to be the largest I can make it.   2, The graphics window created by ptcgraph does not respond with wincrt.

Sdlgraph:    I have not been able to successfully execute with SDLgraph, I can compile it, but when I try to run it I get "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) Click Ok to close the Application"  I have no idea what this even means or how to do anything about it... maybe I am missing some component to use sdlgraph

>Porting them to Lazarus (GUI) is not an option?
I have tried to port to Lazarus but that would be a monumental task, these are not little programs, they are over 25,000 lines of code and to change the project over to a windows GUI would require an entire re-write which I don't have time for.   A Console application with using graph and wincrt is suitable for everything else but I just have this screen performance issue

>   I'm not saying this is your performance problem (especially comparing
>   a 3Ghs PC vs a 233Mhz PC) - there certainly seems to be another
>   problem contributing to your speed issue.

This may be a general processing issue and I'm just noticing it on screen performance.   The target computers for this application are 64bit windows 10 PC's with integrated graphics on motherboard (no separate GPU), however I am running with win32 because I cannot figure out how to compile my console application to be a 64bit application.  I have installed 'fpc-3.0.2.i386-win32.cross.x86_64-win64.exe'  but I don't see any fp.exe to run so I'm a bit lost with it.

>  I highly recommend you take a look as AggPas. It is a 100% high
>  quality sub-pixel rendering engine

AggPas looks awesome, but can I use it with my console application?  I downloaded it and can't even run the sample programs included with it.. maybe they are Delphi examples or something?  I think I'm a bit over my head with that unless I can find an example of how to make a console application with it.