[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri May 12 12:55:07 CEST 2017

> > Lies, damned lies and benchmarks.

(from the other posts I get that the program was relatively short, and maybe
even one single compilation unit? Benchmark smells)

> :)  I went as far as I could with my project and Object Pascal. I
> welcome a compiler guru to dissect the FPC and C binaries and do ASM
> comparisons to see where GCC did a better job

I'm not a real guru, but you learn at least the jargon a bit after almost
two decades on compiler lists.

Well, my guess is the devels already know.  And it depends on how commonly
useful the optimizations are.

My guess improvements in CSE and loop invariant hoisting would be the most
logical improvement areas.

Did you try ppcjvm on the fpc code btw? Could show if it is mainly in the
JIT or the actual compiler.

- in the hopes that such compiler optimisations could one day filter back
> into FPC.  That is all above my skill level.  I also fully understand that
> optimisation at such a level is not a top priority for the Free Pascal
> team, and the effort vs gains vs targeted (real-world) usage is very
> limited.  Like I said, FPC is very good at other things, which is fine for
> 99% of use cases (mine and others).

Most of the people seem to be busy to process relatively higher level
external systems(like json) and pass them to even higher level languages
(like javascript), often over relatively slow network links.

That said, I had a 5GBit/s camera blazing in the lab with one of our
applications lately. If you really want to, a lot is possible, also with
Delphi FPC/Lazarus.