[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

James Richters james at productionautomation.net
Thu May 11 20:43:37 CEST 2017

I have a few console graphics applications that I originally wrote in Turbo
Pascal that I have been able to convert over to Free Pascal and now have
windows versions of these programs.  I notice that unless I run my program
on a 3.5GHz machine or faster, the graphics are fairly slow.    By slow, I
mean noticeably slower than they were on a Pentium 233 DOS machine with
Turbo Pascal.  The intended computers for these programs are simple
inexpensive PCs with motherboard video, no dedicated video cards, I think it
should be possible for any modern computer to severely out perform a Pentium
233 with a VGA card in it, so I'm not sure what the issue is.   I am just
using the graph unit for windows, and I wonder if there is a more efficient
method of creating a full screen graphics only application than to use the
graph unit?    I am only looking for it to work under windows and the main
issue I would like to solve is the speed of drawing things on the screen
like lines and arcs.  It would be nice if I am also able to get away from
BGI fonts and use True Type fonts instead.  I don't need 3D rendering or
anything so complicated, just to draw lines and arcs and maybe ellipses as
well as various text, and flood fill closed shapes with some solid color.

Any Suggestions?