[fpc-pascal] TSQLQuery and buffering.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Mar 25 10:28:37 CET 2017

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> On Saturday 25 March 2017 09:32:33 Gary Doades wrote:
>>
>> I Understand about the "normal" use of TSQLQuery and data sets and I also
>> use this for small result set that need the data changing some way and
>> writing back to the DB. What I need now is an equally convenient and
>> powerful way of processing "big data".
>>
> MSEgui has TSQLResult for that purpose without the TDataset overhead.
> https://gitlab.com/mseide-msegui/mseide-msegui/blob/master/lib/common/db/msesqlresult.pas

Can you explain in 2 words how this differs from TDataset ?
At first sight it is not fundamentally different.
The structure looks almost exactly the same, just the names are different.

And while you're at it, please explain what the 'overhead' is of TDataset.
That TBufDataset introduces overhead is a design decision. But TDataset
itself introduces no "overhead".

Michael.