[fpc-pascal] SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Mar 12 14:04:08 CET 2017

On 12/03/17 12:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-03-11 20:06, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:>  From the architecture side of things, Linux (which in practice means > Debian) is in deep trouble on SPARC. The core problem is that for the

> One could always try FreeBSD + SPARC too.
>    https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html

Yes, I agree and was planning to mention it (and you as an occasional
advocate). However has anybody, /ever/, tried FPC on that combination?
Does xBSD have the same problem as Linux that things like syscall
numbers tend to vary across platforms?

I've spoken to people who gave me to understand that SPARC had a bit
more life in it on xBSD than on Linux, and if it's still viable there as
a 32-bit target it might be preferable. I've only fired up the new
64-bit SPARC Debian on a couple of occasions, and I'd imagine that
providing backward compatibility (i.e. Multiarch etc.) isn't high on the
porters list of priorities.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk