[fpc-pascal] Array of const and generics

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 2 14:43:37 CET 2017

Am 02.03.2017 14:17 schrieb "Ryan Joseph" <ryan at thealchemistguild.com>:

> > On Mar 2, 2017, at 5:45 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> > "array of const" itself should work without problems though mixing the
type parameters and the values contained in the array might be problematic
(I'd need to test it myself).

> It doesn’t work from my tests.

When I'll have the time I'll check whether it's correct that it doesn't
work or not...

> > However for your specific example case why don't you use "array of T"
as a parameter type for the constructor. It would work the same, but would
be even more type safe and in the spirit of generics.

> I didn’t even know you could pass a dynamic array as a parameter so I was
always using array of const. Thanks, learning more new things again!

It's not a dynamic array, but an open array, that's an important
difference. You (currently) can't pass a an array constructor ("[...]") to
a dynamic array parameter (that will change once we support such array
constructors like Delphi does). Check the language reference guide for more
details.

Regards,
Sven