[fpc-pascal] fpGUI on macOS

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Mon Jun 12 00:06:01 CEST 2017

On 2017-06-09 02:35, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2017, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

>>> Probably.
>>
>> Most stuff already works in Cocoa.
>>
>> I haven't used LCL-Carbon for my personal projects in years, although
>> I still use it for the IDE.
>>
>> You can use the IDE with Carbon for now (until Cocoa is good enough),
>> but for personal projects I recommend Cocoa, unless you are affected
>> by a missing functionality or something.
>
> I don't know about others, but as a developer of end-user apps, these
> paragraphs tell me 'stay away of cocoa'...

The risk is indeed that if you have an app that works fine in cocoa,
then all of a sudden you discover that a new feature in your app will
need a feature cocoa does not have yet in lazarus, you are stuck. So
planning ahead of time is important, to see if the items you need are
implemented, but sometimes planning ahead and guessing what components
you will need, requires psychic power, or a time travel system into the
future to see what you will need 2 years down the road.

For me, it's TScrollBox and TSplitter after looking in my crystal ball