[fpc-pascal] Pipe vs Memory buffer.

Lars noreply at z505.com
Sun Jan 29 09:37:45 CET 2017

On Fri, January 27, 2017 7:54 am, fredvs wrote:

> I am not sure that a array of byte is what op_test_memory want.
> It is not a pipe (like lot of other audio lib use), if it is not a array
> of byte, what does he want...?

C doesn't even really have arrays since it is so low level (well this is
disputed). Often an API function that accepts a buffer could allow
multiple types of buffers, that you allocate yourself... Make sure the
function doesn't modify the buffer size (bad api practice) and make you
allocate the memory

It just seems like this is similar to windows API programming where the
windows C api would allow a fixed array of byte (or similar), or your own
allocated heap array.... i.e. whatever you want.

Advantage of heap array is you can change it; fixed static stack array is
fixed and not modifiable on heap... But make sure the api doesn't muck
with the buffer on it's end or try to allocate memory for it, as that
should be your job. But you never know with some api's. This should all be
in their docs? They don't have proper docs?

But I know nothing of Opus, sorry. (and can you look into the actual
source code of opus or is this closed source?)