[fpc-pascal] Freepascal Floating Point Issue

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 29 11:40:45 CEST 2017

Am 29.08.2017 08:35 schrieb "Michael Schnell" <mschnell at lumino.de>:

> On 28.08.2017 08:04, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:I don't understand
why we will have no more the right to use it under x64 OS...

>> Because Microsoft declared it as deprecated. That means that should
Microsoft ever bring out a 64-bit only OS ...

> In fact this still is a (mere) portability problem. Supposedly in such a
64-bit only OS, 32 bit executables will not lose "extended" but will not be
able to be started at all.

> In fact I suppose there will be possibilities to run them in a virtual
machine. E.g. Virtual Box already can build up an invisible "one window"
virtual machine for a single running program.

The point here was if the FPU is used in a x64 process, which *is*
possible, but disabled by default in the compiler.

Regards,
Sven