[fpc-pascal] H2pas tool vs others, C header translation

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Aug 26 09:50:26 CEST 2017

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Am 26.08.2017 07:25 schrieb <noreply at z505.com>:
>>
>> What about the BOOL issue..
>>
>> We know that Boolean in fpc/delphi is not compatible with a C bool
>>
>> But it gets worse than that: even fpc/delphi's bool is not always
> compatible (but is sometimes).
>>
>> For example:
>> http://blog.delphi-jedi.net/2008/09/25/bool-boolean-and-integer/
>>
>> When one must use Integers to do boolean related programming tasks, it
> makes me want to quit programming ;)
>>

> In FPC you can use the types Boolean16, Boolean32 and Boolean64 to get a
> type that behaves like Boolean, but has a different size.

Sorry for being naive. Why not simply use a boolean ?

I thought all this BOOL mess was just meant to be able to interface with C
libs slightly easier.

Instead of

If (SomeCfunction()<>0) then
   DoSomethingStupid;

it allows you to write - in appropriate cases - the following:

if (SomeCfunction()) then
   DoSomethingStupid;

I don't think we should promote BOOL and friends too much.
They are a convenience (which IMHO should not have been introduced in the first place).

Promoting them to first-class Pascal citizens is IMHO a bad idea.

Michael.