[fpc-pascal] Serial communications: synaser vs FPC's serial unit

Christo Crause christo.crause at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 15:41:48 CEST 2017

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys <
mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2017-08-18 07:51, Christo Crause wrote:
>
>> I've also just noted a typing error in GetSerialPortNames: '/dev/ttyAM*'
>> should rather be '/dev/ttyACM*''
>>

> My version also has the first instance (ttyAM*) with a comment "ARM
> boards". Your implementation in the bug report looks a lot better than what
> I have in my synaser copy - cleaner code with less code duplication. Thanks
> for the reply.

Right, not a typo then. Good to learn something new - apparently ttyAMA* is
the device name specified by the ARM AMBA style serial ports driver for
Linux: (
https://code.woboq.org/linux/linux/drivers/tty/serial/amba-pl011.c.html#2514
)

So I looked for a systematic naming convention, but according to the Linux
allocated devices list (
https://static.lwn.net/kerneldoc/admin-guide/devices.html) there is a large
number of tty* names in use for different serial drivers.  Perhaps a
different approach (https://stackoverflow.com/a/9914339) is called for...