[fpc-pascal] Defining sonames?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 17 23:41:16 CEST 2017

Am 17.08.2017 22:20 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys" <
mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk>:

> On 2017-08-17 16:52, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>>
>> Exactly. So why not use the SONAME in the Pascal binding unit instead to
use
>> the base name as Free Pascal currently does in xlib.pp for example?
>

> I forked the xlib, xutils and x units from FPC and tried just that. It
made no difference. When I compiled the project with the -Cn command line
parameter I reviewed the ppas.sh and <project>.res file. The .res file has
a INPUT section near the end listing all dependent libraries. They are
translated to the same as when you use GCC's -l command line parameter.
Only the base name of the library is used. Also, apparently the Unix/Linux
linker (FPC doesn't have it's own - only for Windows) doesn't support
versioned library names as command line parameters. So I don't think there
is much FPC can do - unless I'm still not understanding the whole compiling
and linking process, unless FPC implements their own linker under Unix-type
OSes too.

FPC does have its own, internal ELF linker, though that is not enabled by
default currently as it still has its shortcomings. But even then it would
follow the conventions of the target OS.

Regards,
Sven