[fpc-pascal] Serial communications: synaser vs FPC's serial unit

Thu Aug 17 15:45:14 CEST 2017

Hi,

If somebody with more experience (than me) with the Synaser and FPC
serial.pp units could comment, that would be much appreciated.

For a new cross-platform project where I need to talk to a device hooked
up to a serial port, which unit would be the best to use? Normally I
would go with units included with FPC simply because I know they are
strict about keeping everything maintained.

When I say cross-platform, I'm currently talking about Windows and
Linux, and possibly FreeBSD and Mac too.

Now for the Synaser unit - the one I have is from 2013, and I already
noticed that there is no support for FreeBSD's /dev/* names to access
serial ports. Granted I added FreeBSD support to the
GetSerialPortNames() function in 5 minutes, but this doesn't bode to
well then for the Synaser unit - what else could be missing that I don't
know of?

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/