[fpc-pascal] fpc code for Java class and Android.

Jon Foster jon-lists at jfpossibilities.com
Thu Apr 20 19:07:40 CEST 2017

On 04/20/2017 05:17 AM, Paul Breneman wrote:
> On 04/19/2017 10:49 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>> I'm using a Nexus 7 tablet with Android 6.0.1.  GNURoot provides a
>> chroot with Debian?  It has been *three* years since I did this before
>> and things worked then so I don't know what might have changed so ppcarm
>> doesn't even run now.
>>
>> Android?
>> GNURoot?
>> ppcarm?
>>
>> I'm trying the *most simple* thing, so no x11 or VNC needed.
>
> Actually, the FPC 2.6.0 *ppcarm* worked three years ago but not now. What
> can cause it to have an *Illegal instruction* error?
>
> There is a *simple* procedure near the bottom of this page:
>   http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm
So what changed in those three years?

1. Pretty sure Android 6 wasn't out three years ago? Yeah, I see it was
released 10/2015.
2. New device?
3. Did you use the same ppcarm you downloaded three years ago or did you
download it again?
4. Do you have your older device you could try your ppcarm on?

You will have to address the PIC/PIE issue but you could be looking at the
compiler using machine language instructions that aren't supported by your
hardware (as previously described). If my guess about the tablet being
newer is correct, I doubt it. Still it looks like my ppcarm supports over a
dozen different instruction sets. And their is always the chance some other
form of crash is causing that message.

Android 6 *definitely* requires PIC binaries, that *definitely* changed in
the past three years. A three year old version of FPC would not have been
compiled that way. FYI: a PIE binary won't load on a non-PIE enabled OS. I
had been reading about ways Google devs were trying to work around that. Of
course Google wouldn't want that to happen... so I imagine their efforts
were squashed.