[fpc-pascal] Threading vs Parallelism ?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 09:54:04 CEST 2017

On 20/04/17 07:00, Michael Schnell wrote:

> Again (AFAIK) NPTL had not been introduce to make threads "lighter" but
> to allow for threads behaving in a decently POSIX compatible way (e.g.
> the threads of a process getting only a common share of time slices).

In any event, processes on unix are *defined* as owning resources-
memory, handles and so on- while threads only manage control flow. I
believe that MS also have "fibers" which are non-preemptive threads.

If somebody wants to define a new kind of thread, something even
lighter-weight, they're going to need a new name: inverting
well-accepted precedence is not an option.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk