[fpc-pascal] SpVoice.GetVoices returned exception class EOleSysError

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Wed Apr 12 14:37:39 CEST 2017

On 2017-04-12 07:01, fredvs wrote:
> Hello.
>
> There is also a free-open-source project : espeak :
> http://espeak.sourceforge.net
>
> The licence is GNU General Public License so you may use the executable
> like
> you want.

The GPL is a restrictive license, so you may not use it like you want..

LGPL would be more close to "like you want" but not really ;-)

As you know, mit/bsd is really "like you want" license ;-)

So espeak really is a gpl 2/3 and not LGPL?
They are limiting their audience a lot...

I suppose if you just call the Exe and do piping this is not a violation
of the GPL according to Richard Stallman... even though, technically any
pipe is really using GPL code inside your exe just in a sort of
unscrupulous way to get around the restrictive license.  IMO loading a
dll or piping in an exe is basically the same thing, but GPL lawyers
would likely say piping is okay but loading a dll is not.

Would still prefer if espeak was LGPL so there is no concern. Or,
modified lgpl/mit/bsd. But whatever