[fpc-pascal] corba interfaces - is/as not working properly

Lars noreply at z505.com
Wed Sep 28 21:40:39 CEST 2016

On Wed, September 28, 2016 2:24 am, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2016-09-28 08:38, David Emerson wrote:
>
>> I'm testing out CORBA interfaces before changing all my code to use
>> them (I would prefer not to have managed types for interfaces).
>>

> I've been using CORBA style interfaces for years,

Curious, where do corba interfaces come in handy ? When can you use them
that object oriented code won't offer the same features? I'm wondering if
maybe GoLang interfaces are so popular because of similar reasons to the
heavily underused and infamous interfaces available in delphi/fpc for
years.

i.e. what's the basic point of using an interface compared to objects and
inheritance and procedures? Where do they really shine?

In goLang (don't mean to make this off topic) interfaces are very similar
to VarArgs or Variants but not as evil. I mean to keep this on topic by
asking specifically what corba interfaces should be used for?  Also do
they work across DLL's or DSO's sort of like microsoft COM?