[fpc-pascal] Cross platform mobile development

Ryan Joseph ryan at thealchemistguild.com
Wed Sep 7 17:22:46 CEST 2016

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 4:00 AM, fpc-pascal-request at lists.freepascal.org wrote:
>
> ? ?Finally got a working Hello World on Phonegap, when I found out
> about Xamarin, and this is where I'm heading at the moment. It is
> based on C#, so gives a more-native experience for the user than
> hybrid technology, and using Xamarin forms for the front-end you can
> have close to 100% code-share across platforms. I have Hello World
> working on Android, but still working on my OSX issue in order to test
> the Apple version (Visual Studio gives you the option of connecting to
> a networked Mac for credentials/testing of Apple side, and looking
> into this at the moment. This is where Mac In The Cloud could help if
> I can't get OSX working on my computer and can't find a friend to help
> out here).

I looked at a Xamarin tutorial and it looks pretty interesting if you’re willing to move to C# (not so bad for Pascal guys perhaps?). I’m comfortable enough doing iOS because we have a really excellent ObjectivePascal dialect which works more or less natively but I haven’t really gone full into learning how to make Android bindings work for anything more than a OpenGL game and it’s so daunting I’m thinking of going a Xamarin route.

Does Xamarin forms have a system where you can write one UI and compile to multiple mobile platforms? The tutorial I saw had the people working specially on iOS or Android even though I can do native iOS development in FPC so it wasn’t that useful. I think the forms do this but I haven’t found out yet.

Thanks.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph