[fpc-pascal] Cross platform mobile development

leledumbo leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id
Wed Sep 7 11:37:05 CEST 2016

> Coming from the background of a Pascal programmer (on Mac specifically)
does anyone have any ideas as to what the best cross platform development
environment/language is right now for mobile apps? I’d like to do some
learning and maybe start some projects but I’m not sure if there are any
that could be made to work with FPC or if not something more similar than
not. iOS from Free Pascal works but Java is more complicated from what I’ve
been learning.

I'd say none is the best for now. The hype though, is to use JavaScript with
React Native by facebook. The downside are:
- It's JavaScript, and you're not generating it, but handcoding it
- The components are not totally abstracted for both Android and iOS, there
are still specific ones for each platform
- Compilation (or compaction) takes significant and noticable amount of time
that you can go for coffee/tea/poop before it's finally done

If you only target Android, though, for now LazAndroidModuleWizard still
provides the best experience. It's still our lovely Pascal with its turbo
compilation speed, light final APK size (not lighter from handcoded Java for
sure, but still light) and fast RAD drag n drop development. Actually, the
lower lever library that LazAndroidModuleWizard uses is written by simonsayz
which also writes the same library for iOS. It's a bit unfortunate that the
componentization and packaging does not abstract both libraries as LCL does
at desktop level.

For your convenience:
Package: https://github.com/jmpessoa/lazandroidmodulewizard
Android: http://blog.naver.com/simonsayz/220480419289