[fpc-pascal] FPC 3.0 deb packages?

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Sep 6 21:06:37 CEST 2016

On Tue, September 6, 2016 10:36, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2016, Jon Foster wrote:

Hi,

(now putting my "mailing list member" hat on ;-) )

>> After I banged on it for many hours applying several crude patches it
>> finally makes packages again. But all of this leads me to believe that
>> Debian packages for FPC are no longer maintained / supported? If so
>> what's the story? Maybe my crude hacks could be put to use or I could
>> help out some way?

The Debian rules are primarily maintained by a Debian package maintainer,
not directly inside the SVN repository of FPC (although we're more than
happy to merge them to mainstream if they are supplied to us) and not
necessarily up to the latest changes of FPC. See
https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/fpc for information about the
current status there.

> Well, I guess the main issue is, Debian splits the FPC "packages" into
> separate packages. :) Because it not only installs the package, but all of
> its dependencies (for example C static link libs), therefore a global FPC
> "packages" package with all its dependencies would be *HUGE*. But maybe
> for 3.0 that decision should have been modified, and Debian should have
> bundled a 'set of packages' as a .deb package, instead of each package as
> a separate .deb alone... I mean the various FCL or the various RTL
> packages are certainly just one "package" from the user PoV...
 .
 .

See the link above (or install/debian/*.in in fpcbuild) - such a grouping
is indeed performed in Debian.

I leave the other parts of the original message to others knowing more
about the current status than me.

Tomas