[fpc-pascal] LLVM Backend Support

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Thu Sep 1 03:28:36 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016, African Wild Dog wrote:

> > The code optimizers, yes. The rest, not so much.
> >
> >> Will the FPC team, somewhere in the future, adopt the LLVM as the
> >> backend on all platforms ?
> >
> > No, for various reasons:
>
> Again,thanks for the detailed explanation. As this is a recurrent
> topic,maybe it would be a good ideia to create a wiki page with all
> these points.
>
> And about GCC? It supports a wide variety of processors and OS.

90% of the same as for the LLVM backend applies. Also, it doesn't support
all the systems we do, not in mainline, or in current versions anyway.
Granted, these are usually smaller, less significant, or legacy systems,
but still...

I know these are the days of going Easy instead of staying Simple, but for
a lot of us the fact that FPC doesn't depend on any kind of other
monster-framework and backend of a competing product and language is
pretty much *the* killer feature...

But anyway, if someone wants to see a GCC-backend in FPC, he is welcomed
to work on it. But as a team-policy to migrate to it - no thanks.

Charlie