[fpc-pascal] Smart Pointers

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed May 11 14:23:24 CEST 2016

On Wed, 11 May 2016, Maciej Izak wrote:

>> Anything the compiler needs *must* be in the system unit. The compiler
>> should only assume the system unit, possibly objpas or macpas or so.
>>
>> All the rest should remain out of the RTL, which should be as small as
>> possible. So rtl-generics is your best bet. Even the classes unit is better
>> outside the rtl, but I think Marco is reluctant to remove it.
>>
>> I have remarked on this before: this tight dependency you are creating is
>> very worrying.
>

> FPC team is very selective and with double standards and that is very
> worrying.

There are no double standards ?

> For example fgl module is part of RTL just because is usefully
> for Sven for testing purposes (! that is curious).

Where is that written ?  As far as I know, it is only there because classes
is there, and classes has some define to allow it to be compiled with fgl.

> There is no reason in keeping that module in RTL

As said, I think classes may be moved as well, and then fgl may be moved as
well.

> but is in RTL because we have double, selective
> and irrational standards.

No, this is not so. See above.

The rtl needs to contain whatever is necessary to compile the compiler.

No more, no less.

> Generics.* is absolute other category of module
> with base and complex support for *any* stuff related to generics + has
> better testing purposes than fgl.
>
> Please just don't add Generics.* into FPC as package. :/

Nevertheless, that is what is going to happen.

There should not be double standards.
If the consequence is that the fgl unit should move as well: No problem with that.

Michael.