[fpc-pascal] The world is ending

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue May 10 13:58:24 CEST 2016

On Tue, 10 May 2016, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

>> Why do you say that ?
>>
>> What would you expect to be done ?
>>

> By that I meant a lot in the RTL is still missing regarding support for
> various string types, overloaded methods, Delphi compatibility etc.

A list would be appreciated.

Because honestly, I do not understand the problem.

At the moment the situation is quite simple and clear IMHO:

- We have codepage aware single-byte strings (ansistring)

- The compiler handles conversion between these codepages transparantly.
   Some variables determine the exact behaviour.

- We have unicode strings.
   Again, the compiler handles conversion transparantly.

- Basic pascal file IO routines handle unicode filenames transparantly in
   either single our double byte characters.

The rules governing conversion are somewhat obtuse in some corner cases,
but other than that...

I don't see any problems except 1, the classes unit: the base classes are
still using string = ansistring  (with all that this implies).

That is a known issue which must be dealt with.

Michael.