[fpc-pascal] The world is ending

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue May 10 13:29:08 CEST 2016

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote on Tue, 10 May 2016:

>> Why do you say that ?
>>
>> What would you expect to be done ?
>
> By that I meant a lot in the RTL is still missing regarding support for
> various string types, overloaded methods, Delphi compatibility etc.
>
> Just try and compile the tiOPF’s “tiopf3” branch with FPC 3.x and see
> the amount of compiler errors.

That is a non sequitur. The original question was about what happens
if you change default code page of ansistrings. The absence of a
Delphi2009+-compatible RTL, or the need to add {$mode delphiunicode}
to compile code written for Delphi2009+, is completely unrelated to
that. Please stop conflating everything in order to what comes across
as attempts to merely voice the same complaints over and over again in
every new email you send.

As to the original question: most RTL routines don't care about what
the default code page is of ansistrings. Of the ones that do, most
have been adapted to deal with changing the default ansistring code
page (http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_Unicode_support#RTL_changes ).
There is one notable set of exceptions that is not adapted in 3.0 (and
incompletely in current trunk): SysUtils.ExecuteProcess() and related
the TProcess() class.

Jonas