[fpc-pascal] The world is ending

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue May 10 10:40:09 CEST 2016

On Tue, 10 May 2016, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2016-05-10 03:17, Mazo Winst wrote:
>> 1 - So, is there a way to set the codepage to be used by the String type
>> regardless of the platform?
>
> Yes, apparently via SetMultiByteConversionCodePage(). I still need to
> check the documentation to find out more details. I think this is what
> Lazarus is doing for the LCL+FPC3.x too.
>

>> 2 - If question 1 is true, what are the implications for the RTL? We can
>> expect some unexpected behavior when doing that?
>
> No idea. As far as I understand pretty much nothing has been done to the
> RTL regarding text encodings, so I wouldn't expect too much.

Why do you say that ?

What would you expect to be done ?

>> 3 - If question 1 is true, what are the recommended way to do that?
>
> Another good question. I would guess it must be called as soon as
> possible in your application and can't change afterwards. But that's
> just a guess.
>

>> 4 - What should we do when we find flaws in the documentation? Should we
>> report to Michael Van Caneyt here on the list?
>
> I would suggest to always report any issues on Mantis. That way they are
> not lost or forgotten. Also, I believe Documentation bugs reported in
> Mantis are automatically assigned to Michael.

That is correct. Usually I fix bugs in the documentation quite quickly.
Documentation is recompiled only when a new version of the compiler is
released, so changes may not be visible at once.

However, starting with version 3.0.0, I have set up the beginning of
versioning of the on-line documentation, much like it is in Postgres.

It allows me to start publishing documentation for trunk.

Michael.