[fpc-pascal] The world is ending (was: Warning not to use the "String" type with FPC 3.x)

Mazo Winst mazofeifer at gmail.com
Tue May 10 04:17:48 CEST 2016

> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> Now some would say, simply switch your compiler mode to DelphiUnicode.
>> But I don't want to do that, because I like the stricter ObjFPC mode,
>> and prefer ObjFPC's syntax.
>>

> While still missing in the documentation, you can already do that with
> {$modeswitch unicodestrings}.
>
> And please stop this nonsense about how dangerous the String type in FPC
> 3.x supposedly is, after I've explained several times in this thread
> already how it's just as dangerous in FPC 2.6.x.

Just to clarify:

1 - So, is there a way to set the codepage to be used by the String type
regardless of the platform?

2 - If question 1 is true, what are the implications for the RTL? We can
expect some unexpected behavior when doing that?

3 - If question 1 is true, what are the recomended way to do that?

4 - What should we do when we find flaws in the documentation? Should we
report to Michael Van Caneyt here on the list? (from what I understand, he
is the maintainer of the documentation). Should we open a bug report on the
bugtracker about documentation?

Best regards