[fpc-pascal] Smart Pointers

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Mon May 9 22:11:03 CEST 2016

Am 09.05.2016 um 21:40 schrieb Maciej Izak:

>     I read that mails about implementation of management operators and smart pointers.
>
>     1 - These features are expected to be available in which version?
>

> The feature is ready and works almost perfectly but I need more time to tests. It brings also
> nullable types (nullable type is kind of smart pointer) and it brings new kind of type helpers for
> example for dynamic arrays, interfaces and in practice for any other types (side effect of new
> syntax ;) ).
>
> IMO there is very weak chance for merging into official FPC trunk.

Who said that? We discussed the syntax etc. and at least I see good changes to integrate it in trunk
as soon as it is ready. Neither Sven nor me would discuss a feature if we are in doubt that it will
make it in trunk.

> FPC core team has strong
> opposition to new features like in Oxygene or Delphi Nextgen/ARC.

It is more a matter of doing it properly. It is more an opposition against quickly hacked together
stuff without proper testing etc. I am pretty sure that we get ARC soon or later in trunk, if
somebody shows enough dedication :)

After all, FPC tries to support as much as possible pascal dialects in OSS compiler. But this does
not mean, we are supporting everybody's pet dialect ;)