[fpc-pascal] {$H+} meaning with compiler {$mode DELPHIUNICODE}

Mon May 9 11:37:50 CEST 2016

Hi,

This weekend I tried to unify tiOPF's Delphi and FPC code. Year back
tiOPF branched to support D2009 only and do loads of code clean-up. FPC
couldn't follow that branch due to all Delphi's many RTL changes and
UnicodeString support. I'm now trying to see what is still missing in
FPC 3.x

Normally I would use {$H+} no tell the compiler that the aliased
“String” type means AnsiString instead of ShortString. But what affect,
if anything, does it have when {$mode delphiunicode} is enabled too?

My first port of call was obviously the Free Pascal PDF documentation,
but looking in the Programmer's Guide PDF (Section 1.2.25), it doesn't
answer my question. It mentions the {$mode delphi}, but not the newer
{$mode delphiunicode}.

Second port of call was the “FPC Unicode Support” wiki page
[http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_Unicode_support], apparently now also an
official source of documentation. But surprisingly, there is not a
single mention of {$H+} in that wiki page either.

Could anybody here answer my question?

ps:
  I hate fragmentation of information - any such info should only live
  in the official PDF documentation (and generated HTML pages). Please
  don't follow the Lazarus route by fragmenting information all over
  the internet! Next we'll have "official blogs" documenting FPC too.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/