[fpc-pascal] intel vs att asm (fstp instruction) (osx/clang features)

Pierre Free Pascal pierre at freepascal.org
Wed May 4 12:14:21 CEST 2016

I think the correct solution for you is to use explicit size information:

  FSTP SINGLE PTR [EDX]

  FSTP SINGLE PTR [EAX]

but

  FSTP [s]

and

  FSTP [c]

would be even better, I don’t know if this syntax is Delphi compatible or not.

  It seems that indeed Free Pascal does not set the size of those instruction,

but seems to use single as default size for internal code generation…

  When generating assembler file for GNU assembler or NASM,

it does not seem to print out this “assumed” size, which indeed

leads to a failure using –Anasm option on trunk compiler with i386-win32 target.

  My GNU as version 2.26 does not seem to need an explicit size,

but I don’t know what Xcode uses, isn’t it also a GNU assembler?

Could you tell us which assembler is used?

Pierre