[fpc-pascal] History of the Cardinal data type?

Dmitry Boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:28:23 CEST 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 4:37 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys <
mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> In my case I'm specifically referring to the benefit of using (U)Int<x>
> style data types for use in record structures when reading binary data
> files.

Makes sense.

> Does FPC follow that platform rule, or does FPC always define Word as
> 16-bits? [sorry I don't have a ARM device to test on at the moment]
> If Word size does changes in FPC (for example between x86 & ARMv6), then
> I have quite a bit of code to fix up.

Word is always 16-bit.
As Nikolay mentioned, the choice was made by Borland to keep word 16bit
even for 32-bit platforms.
GNU Pascal have Word 32-bit (http://www.gnu-pascal.de/gpc/Word.html)

Not sure if FPC support 32-bit in gnu mode. But ISO mode seems to keep it
at 16bit.

thanks,
Dmitry