[fpc-pascal] Smartphone apps in FPC

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Mar 17 17:29:23 CET 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, Reimar Grabowski wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:49:50 +0100 (CET)
> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> But, I do have an emulator, and plenty of people in the building do have a
>> smartpone :-)
>>
>> Amazing, eh ? :)
> Not really.
> But it's amazing that you wrote articles and a real-world application and in the process never stumbled upon 'long clicks' especially as they are essential in Androids keyboard input.

Obviously they are not so essential as you seem to think ?

> Never tried to input an Umlaut on an Android virtual keyboard?

No.

> Perhaps the concept is not as clearly identifiable as I thought or Google has hidden the OnLongClickListener interface too well.

I honestly never encountered it. I didn't look for it either, of course.

> It's also amazing that 'not owning' a smart phone was just an excuse as you clearly have interacted with smart phones (yes, even emulated ones count).

I really don't see that.

I have never used a smartphone, and on the emulator all I had to do was
swipe and click to test my program. Basically it was a bunch of listviews
to select a particular list, and a listview with some checkboxes embedded.
In the username/password dialog, I could suffice with regular keys.

Hardly a shocking interface, and as such 'long clicks' didn't enter the picture at any point...

The biggest stumbleblock (and even so) was parsing JSON and sending JSON to a server.

Michael.