[fpc-pascal] Smartphone apps in FPC

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Mar 17 11:08:01 CET 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, donald.pedder at optusnet.com.au wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I was on this list years ago, and then fell off at some point for
> some reason, but back again now. :-)
>
>    Having written for DOS all those years ago, I am now just getting
> into making smartphone apps, and it would be good to be able to use my
> old friend FPC for it. :-) I have some familiarity with Java, so
> learning Android not too difficult (just gotta get around the
> smartphone-specific knowledge), but I don't know Apple's language at
> all, and I do want to make my apps available in both Google and Apple
> stores. I understand Apple have relaxed their attitude towards
> third-party developer tools in recent years, though I have also heard
> they frown on some (plus doing it with FPC may be taking me into an
> area where not so much tutorials available as there are for
> Java/Swift). Want to be sure my apps don't get rejected from Apple
> store for such a reason.
>
>    So, just looking for some feedback from anyone on this list who
> may have used FPC for Android/Apple apps. i.e. have you written in FPC
> and succeeded in getting into Apple store, etc.? I'm looking to make
> my decision soon as to which language to use soon, and if FPC is
> suitable then that saves me having to learn a new language for the
> project. :-)

There are 2 possible approaches:

- Use the NDK, and then basically you're writing a native Linux application.
   You can try to use the Android SDK through some JNI tricks; but I am
   unsure how well this works.

- Use the Android SDK, using the JVM compiler.

I have written several articles on how to use the latter approach;
I wrote a real-world app with it.
I can send a URL for the articles if you want.

Michael.