[fpc-pascal] Resource strings, passwords etc.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 15:33:01 CEST 2016

Tony Whyman wrote:
> What's interested me is how this thread has almost looped back to a
> recent thread on that steaming heap of brown stuff know as GTK and the
> attitude of the programmers behind it.

It wasn't intentional :-)

> They make the point here that GTK is (too) complex and
> difficult to analyse hence setuid (and setgid) is bad on the grounds
> that no one knows how it could be mis-used.

> Assuming that this problem still exists in GTK2, it may get in the way
> of what otherwise could be a good way to solve the original problem in
> this thread.

There's certainly still problems setting running something setuid root,
I can't speak for using a less-privileged user. I think you might be
able to work around some (but not all) of the issues using capabilities.

The thing that I found most incredible about the attitude of the GTK
developers was that they used the fact that Linux changes /internal/
interfaces as a precedent that they claimed justified their changing
/external/ APIs (i.e. as available to application programmers).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk