[fpc-pascal] Issues with fpc-build-3.0.0

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Jan 29 15:10:09 CET 2016

Tony Whyman wrote on Fri, 29 Jan 2016:

>>> Why?
>>
>> Because "make install" is often used to install development
>> versions of FPC, and the you don't necessarily want it to change
>> the default compiler version at the same time.
> I am not convinced that it is a good idea for the default install to
> result in a broken system.

It just does not make the newly installed compiler the default
compiler. The newly installed compiler is available and fully
functional. Resorting to hyperbole is not useful. Besides, there is
another thing that a "make install" does not do, namely updating the
fpc.cfg configuration file to the newest version. It just installs the
compiler, utilities and units.

> BTW, the most up-to-date instructions I have been able to find on
> building fpc from source is buried in the wiki under a page titled
> "Installing Lazarus", and that suggests creating the symlink manually.

The wiki is in fact probably the best case to collect this
information, because otherwise there are always scenarios not covered
by the readme that some people will need, such as cross-compiling
under platform X or for platform Y. A readme pointing to a wiki page
would probably be a good idea though.

Jonas